When you love books as much as I do, you eventually start making lists: books to read in each season, book characters you’d be friends with, book places you would visit if you could, and the order in which you would visit them, and the book methods of conveyance you would take to get there…
Recently I imagined, if I could build a house, what book rooms I would put inside it, to live in. Would I rather have Mr. Norrell’s library, or Celia Bowen’s circus tent? The Gryfifindor common room, or Sara Crewe’s school bedroom from A Little Princess? My (sort of) final list is below, and I’d love to hear what rooms you’d build your own house with!
- Bilbo’s kitchen (and larders) from The Hobbit
- The Gryffindor common room from Harry Potter
- Mr. Norrell’s library, from Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell
- Quentin’s Brakebills bedroom, from The Magicians
- The Gothic Bathroom from Little, Big
- The secret garden from The Secret Garden